Inline Tile and Stone, license #789209, (aka Inline Kitchen and Bath), both owned by Duane Borad, charged me over $80,000 for shoddy work, incomplete work, and then abandoned the kitchen and bath remodel job after he screwed up the bath plumbing..
My very first clue as to what was forthcoming was the "light blue concrete" Borad ordered for the driveway. I now have a "two-tone" driveway. I should have cancelled the job right then.
The CSLB cited Borad for ten violations, including: didn't get permits; didn't have workmen's comp for workers; no 3-day notice to cancel; departed from building standards; no written contract; no written change orders, etc. Shoddy work includes kitchen window installed crooked, warped kitchen cabinet (Ikea) doors, no (required) GFCI outlets in kitchen; bath GFCI not installed properly and doesn't work; bathroom plumbing hot/cold water lines crossed in bath (and kitchen); water temperature control valve in bath shower failed, shower fixtures not sealed to tile, no water temp control, and no water shut-offs for the vanity sink.
I have three independent estimates at about $6,000 to get the bath plumbing repaired (it requires tearing out a wall in two places). Borad is offering less than $500, which I'm sure he thinks is very generous. (I gave him over three months, after I paid him, to fix the bath problems.)
Borad also charged for changes that don't exist, such as: repairing hall outlets (there are no outlets in the hall); charged for 4 "pot hangers" when there are no pot hangers.
This contractor also refused to correct the hot/cold water pipes in the bath and repair the water temp controller in the shower. He had OVER THREE MONTHS after I paid him in full, and then some. (His accounting was faulty.) This means he ABANDONED the job.
There was a weak un-signed contract for the bath but no written contract or change order for the kitchen, hence a lot of items that would normally be in a contract were "left out," such as window trim, floor transition strips, tile trim between the tile and the drywall in the bath, and baseboard. Since they weren't in the contract, and there was no written change order for the $56,000 kitchen, some of these items became unwritten and unapproved change orders. Other change orders, like the tile trim, window trim, and floor transition strips were simply refused by me because by then I'd had enough.
Because of the unwritten change orders the original cost of $68,700 for the bath and kitchen was over $80,000, some of which I refused to pay because of shoddy work, abandonment, and absolutely no formal accounting.
I must warn consumers that the California Contractors' State License Board (CSLB) is virtually useless when it comes to "admonishing" licensed contractors. They go out of their way to protect them and generally just "slap them on the wrist." Yes, they did cite and fine Borad but his fines were minimum, and, on my side they grossly underestimated the bath repair cost. The bonding company, SureTec, is even worse. The consumer must prove absolutely 100% that the contractor is at fault, yet, in my case, the contractor has absolutely NO PAPERWORK to show what he did, and my claim is being flushed down the toilet.
Borad has two favorite sayings: "You didn't pay for that" and "My computer crashed..."
Check this company's license (#789209) violations before you hire him. You should not have to endure the hassle and headaches that I have endured with the CSLB and SureTec bonding company for the past 18 months.
More Review Details
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality, damaged and defective, poor customer service (CSLB & SureTec)
- Preferred solution:
- Inline Tile and Stone needs to refund a minimum of $8,330 the cost of repairs and overcharges.
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Bathroom Remodeling
- Review category
- Home Construction and Repair
You May Also Like
- "Worst Experience ever.. Do not build with lombardo homes. All it is excuse after excuse, we will tell you what you want to hear to make the buck. We..."
- "They might deserve one start for the actual pool. But this company is HORRIBLE -their work is that is.... DO NOT HIRE THEM..... You will pay dearly. Be..."
- "Letter sent to College works with NO response.Please find below comments on my experience with College Works. Nathen (project manager) explained the process to me, and as a business..."
- "Buyer Beware!! John Wolsey's TAX LIEN ACADEMY (www.mhmoffers.com/taxsales.html#) is a not on the up-and-up. (Another URL for the Tax Lien Academy is http://community.icontact.com/p/taxlienacademy.)Filled out the form to order "the book,"..."
- "I just filled my newly purchased above ground pool and the seam is defective, slowly leaking water. I put a patch on to keep my yard from becoming a..."
- "Today at Jo-Ann Fabrics, I tried to buy Scotch Tacky GLUE at 25% off because the ad said "ENTIRE STOCK Glue and Adhesive 25% OFF". I was told at..."
- "I lost 80 lbs in 2+ months. This Gastric Bypass ALTERNATIVE is amazing.I started at 430 lbs and now 350 lbs simply by following instructions and rules. No tricks.Amazing feeling..."
- "I have been a long time consumer of Newegg off on on for years, and have recently cheered them on the fight against Patent trolls. But recently I ordered..."
- "I recently booked a Jetstar flight on eDreams.com. They sent me an email confirmation that said "The total cost of your reservation is $442.22. The details of the amounts charged..."